Y3 Ancient Egyptian Day
Year 3 Ancient Egyptian Day
What an absolute joy it was to be able to teach our pupils in an inspirational way today. The whole day consisted of a number of hands on activities to develop a number of key skills such as; independent work, using ICT, drawing techniques, listening skills and team work. We set up a variety of activities for the children to have ‘taster sessions’ to learn some facts about Ancient Egypt. The activities included:
* Entering a tomb by crawling through a tunnel to reach the inner chamber – here the children had the opportunity to read facts, look at the paintings on the tomb walls, speak to a Pharaoh and hold a question and answer session.
* Build like an Egyptian – the children used a variety of ‘building materials’ to create a pyramid - they had a choice of using Duplo bricks, sand or biscuits.
* Draw like an Egyptian – the children were tasked with recreating an ancient Egyptian style drawing using grids to enlarge a smaller drawing.
* Making a cartouche – using the ancient form of writing called hieroglyphs each child used the ancient symbols to write their name on the oval shaped cartouche.
* Using IPads – the children used QR codes to access facts about pyramids, mummification, farming, hieroglyphs and much more.
* Mummification process – in this activity the children had to read instructions about the process an ancient Egyptian Pharaoh’s body was put through after death. The children used a small scale dummy of an Ancient Egyptian – they were able to remove the brains and internal organs then match each body part to the canopic jar as well as wrap the mummy in bandages.
To complete the day the children were set a challenge to ‘mummify’ one of their team members in five minutes using toilet roll. This was a great end to the day which the children enjoyed. To add to the pleasure of the day our parents were invited to their first parent’s morning – we’d like to say a huge thank you for your support and participation. It was also wonderful to see so many children dressed as an Ancient Egyptian for the day. We want to thank you for taking the time and making so much effort with the children’s costumes. You helped to make your children’s learning fun and exciting.
The year 3 team
Mrs Cooper, Mr Davis and Mr James